Monday 17 February 2014

A hark back to Interior Styling


By no means am I an interior stylist anymore but many years ago when I started in the styling industry I did work on many such shoots. Most people probably don't know that I have renovated many properties, I really enjoy working on real estate projects both from a styling and building angle.
I recently offered my services to a friend who lives in New York to style and project manage a renovation of his apartment that he owns here in Melbourne. His plan was to sell this apartment to finance other opportunities in the US and has rented it out for many years. 
As it was tenanted out it had lots of wear and tear but had a great layout and was in a great location.
I had designed the bathroom for this apartment a few years ago and this part of the property still looked great but the kitchen and the living areas needed a major spruce up. It also needed to be property styled for the real estate market and to pinpoint the right inner city buyer.   


It needed to appeal to the young urban professional or savvy investor and so I set about to give it a youthful feel that wasn't too personal but still stylish and fresh. When you buy an apartment you buy into a lifestyle and so that has to be the first thing you feel when seeing a property.


Like most people getting ready to sell a property we didn't have a huge budget so a lot of the pieces are sourced from my personal collection of furniture and artwork. The rest has been hired in from the lovely Daniella and Marcus at Surround Interiors who have beautiful furniture and homewares at their store at 3 Inkerman Street in St Kilda. www.surround.com.au


The kitchen needed a major renovation and was completely demolished and a new custom made kitchen fitted. I wanted the feel to be very open and almost scandinavian. The person who buys this great apartment will have a completely new (never cooked in!)  kitchen to enjoy.


The designer bathroom as I mentioned was renovated to a high standard a few years ago but is still totally contemporary and in great condition. I just styled it with plants, foliage and a few Missoni Home pieces.



I very much enjoyed project managing this renovation and property styling opportunity and as I have said for many years that an understanding of design principles and good styling can work across a lot of  different platforms of the aesthetic industries. I enjoy interior design and decoration/styling very much but am happy to leave it to the many talented interior stylists out there who work on this everyday.

If you are interested in buying this apartment it will be auctioned on 8th March, you can find the details here http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-vic-prahran-116085455 

Or contact Michael Kurts at Biggin & Scott Prahran on 0418319811


1 comment:

  1. ooh love me some cheeky Missoni, beautiful work Mr Philip! x

    ReplyDelete